Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] =?utf-8?q?Rhythmbox_0=2E13=2E1_released?=

For what it's worth, I also preferred the old behavior. I generally sort my tracks by the album column, but only very rarely do I want to typeahead search by album. It would be great if it were possible to intuitively let people search whatever column they want, but as it is I find the new behaviour far less intuitive than simply searching titles.

I think I have a reasonable justification for this too. Generally if I'm to search for a title I will know specifically the song I want, so will use typeahead search in the entry view. But when searching a genre, artist or album I am probably not certain of the exact song I want. So searching in the browser or the search bar makes more sense as I will then be shown a list of matching tracks to choose from

----- Reply message -----
From: "Jonathan Matthew" <jonathan d14n org>
Date: Mon, Sep 6, 2010 09:28
Subject: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox 0.13.1 released
To: "Edgar Luna" <edgar luna gmail com>
Cc: <rhythmbox-devel gnome org>

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Edgar Luna <edgar luna gmail com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Congratulations for another release. I got a comment here
>
> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 10:23 PM, Jonathan Matthew <jonathan d14n org> wrote:
>>
>> * Use the current sorting column for typeahead searching
>
> OMG.
>
> So If I sort as I always do by Year, because in this way I have: each song
> by album in the right order (by track number), then each album for year it
> was released. Then I'm basically screwed I lost typeahead searching.

The summary isn't entirely accurate: we only use the sorting column if
it contains a string value (album, artist, genre, title), otherwise we
use the title column.

> I understand that having the incapability of searching in album, artist or
> genre sucked for many people at many times (you can use typeahead in the
> browser for that btw). But, I believe that searching a song is the most
> common way to using this feature and sorting all my library by Title just to
> find one song, then I go set the sort to Year again *seems* silly. I'll try
> to see what happens with that.

Well, I don't really know how people use typeahead searching. I've
rarely seen it mentioned, and there were only a few duplicates of the
original bug report from 2006. I'm sure we can find a reasonable
solution that works for everyone.