Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Remote Control

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Michael Bonertz wrote:
> Just wondering if there is a way to remotely control Rhythmbox with an
> Android phone.  Something similar to the Apple Remote for the Iphone.  My
> wife has that installed on her iPhone and is able to control all the music
> on her computer via her phone she can control Itunes volume, play music on
> the computer, stream music on the computer, and is also able to play the
> music on her phone too.

We were talking about this recently in the following thread:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/rhythmbox-devel/2010-October/msg00026.html

The Apple Remote software on the iPod/iPad uses the DACP protocol
to control an iTunes server. This is related to the iTunes DAAP protocol
for streaming music to/from iTunes. Alexandre was working on support
DACP in RB as a Google Summer of Code project this year. I'm not
clear how much of this work is already included with Rhythmbox:
http://live.gnome.org/SummerOfCode2010/AlexandreRosenfeld_Rhythmbox

Note that Apple changed some things in v2 of their Remote application,
and I understand that on the iPad it now requires "Home Sharing" support.

There are probably several Android apps with DACP/DAAP support
for controlling/streaming iTunes (or a 3rd party server which supports
these protocols). I don't have an Android device so have no suggestions.

Does that help?

Peter