Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Cover art display and DAAP plugin

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 21:54, Peter <rhythmbox-devel maubp freeserve co uk> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 1:17 AM, Alexandre Rosenfeld wrote:
> I was just writing you an email about libdmapsharing ;)
>
> Peter wrote:
>> Follow up note to self and future search engine results: if trying to
>> compile RB from source with the DAAP plugin you will need
>> libdmapsharing, which isn't in older versions of Ubuntu but is in
>> Maverick:
>> This does appear to serve artwork requested via the nowplayingartwork
>> DACP command (see dacp-share.c for the code), which is good.
>
> I developed the DACP support as part of my Google Summer of Code
> project of this year
> (http://live.gnome.org/SummerOfCode2010/AlexandreRosenfeld_Rhythmbox)
> There is some support for nowplayingartwork, but you are going to have two
> problems:
> - It's only implemented in libdmapsharing, Rhythmbox doesn't use any of that
> support. And you seem to be on the right way to implement it in Rhythmbox.
> - It's part of DACP, not DAAP. And right now, DACP is a subclass of DAAP,
> while Rhythmbox only uses the DAAP class. Even after my Rhythmbox patch is
> accepted, it will use separate instances for DACP and DAAP (even though they
> share almost everything and despite my wishes to use only one instance for
> both). So you are gonna have to implement ctrl-int handling on DAAP (as in
> daap-share.c). Should not be too hard since ctrl-int handling is avaliable
> in dmap-share.c.
> Good luck, seems to be a really good idea.
> Regards,
> Alexandre

Hi Alexandre,

It sounds like you would be an ideal person to try and implement this ;)
I haven't even got RB from git to compile yet.

It would be nice but I dont have time for this now :)

This is going a bit off topic now, but I was going to ask about DACP
support in RB later anyway... so:

I've been trying the Apple Remote application on an iPod to control
forked-daapd, and v1.3.3 works fine but not v2 - Apple changed
something. See http://blog.technologeek.org/2010/10/05/404

>From the timing of GSoC, I guess you were testing with version one
of the Apple Remote application for the RB plugin. Have you tried
the new update, or even the iPad version which is quite different?

Actually, some last minute changes in libdmapsharing broke my implementation in Rhythmbox even for v1 and I still couldnt fix it. I didnt looked at Remote v2, but shouldnt have changed much, even with new features. The biggest problem with Apple is that they always like to implement some new encryption that keeps the open-source developers away for at least a few months. Then they re-implement everything again.
And I will probably stay away from Apple products from now on, so I wont be able to support the iPad version.

Regards,

Peter