Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rythmbox behaviours

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 06:16, Guillaume Storchi <gstorchi gmail com> wrote:
Hello everyone,

Hope this is the right place to talk about Rhythmbox features. (0.12.3)

Kind of, it's a development list. But enough people ask questions here about Rhythmbox in general.

1) Playlist
It is really unconvenient that read tracks are removed from the playlist, and playlist is kind of small, no real easy way to sort, move a track to another rank etc... like it is possible in most music players ...

You are probably talking about the queue, not playlists. Unlike some players, Rhythmbox doesnt have a Now Playing playlist, instead it plays any of the sources on the right list. The queue allows you to do just that, queue songs you want played right now. And of course, you can still create playlists and play them, then you can reorder, etc, and items wont go away from these playlists when playing.

2) Music library
For some reason, I was not able to  add a directory with a new band album, the structure was exactly the same as I selected in preferences (Artist/Album/ track# - track_name) ...

There is no need to put files in that structure. Rhythmbox will pick any media files in your library. That structure is used when copying files to your library, such as dragging and dropping files from an external player into your library.
Just copy your music folders inside your Music library and it should work.

I think a cleverer media library management would be great, I mean being able to select several separate folders would be handy. I mean kind of like "picasa" does it for photos...
Maybe there's something to think about.

Rhythmbox supports multiple directories (Ubuntu uses this for it's Ubuntu One store for instance), however I think it's not exposed in the interface. Try selecting multiple folders with CTRL when selecting your music library. Overall, users don't realy need more then one folder as it's music library (and Linux does support symlinks that cover a few other cases).