Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] bug fix in mpid-device.c

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 4:35 AM, François Jaouen
<francois jaouen laposte net> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm currently trying to fix rhythmbox because it crashes when my creative
> Zen touch (MTP device) is plugged in.
>
> Although I'm not done, I think I've found a little bug in mpid-device.c that
> may explain some crashes (git patch joined).

Your patch is half correct - the 'g_free (mount);' that you added is
useless because mount is known to be NULL at that point. That isn't
how you free a GUnitMountEntry, in any case. I don't see how this
could have anything to do with the crashes you're seeing, though,
because this code is only used for ipods and generic USB mass storage
devices, not MTP devices.

Please attach patches to bugs in bugzilla, rather than sending them to
the mailing list.

> FYI the configuration I am working on is :
>
> - Karmic beta on virtual box (not OSE to have USB support)
> - Rhythmbox from the git repo. compiled with gudev
>
> By the way I have some questions :
>
> Is mtp plugins still required with gudev ?
> With gudev option there are still calls to libmtp taking place (inside
> rhythmbox), if I'm not wrong it shouldn't happen ?

GUdev only provides information on what devices are present, it
doesn't provide any way of talking to them. For that, of course we
need to use libmtp.