Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Seriously, really, you've got to be kidding...

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 09:57:58AM +0200, Lasse Bigum wrote:

> > Could you provide a bit more info (distribution, debug, environment,
> > exact message etc. ), and create a bug report at bugzilla.gnome.org?
> > Things tend to get lost in the mailing-list... :)
>
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rhythmbox/+question/65502
>
> I think it is mainly related to gstreamer being a bit dumb, not rhythmbox.

Not really.  GStreamer has no way of knowing what media types there will or will not
be decoders for, so if the application doesn't filter out plugin install requests
for things that wouldn't be useful in the application, then you're going to end up
searching for plugins for all kinds of junk files that the app encounters.

Anyway, I'm planning to do something about this after the next release (which
shouldn't be too far away); I don't really need any more information about just how
much the current situation sucks and how it'd be great to be able to disable the
plugin install thing, because: I know, and it wouldn't be.