Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Pandora??

On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 11:17:50PM -0700, TwstdElf wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> I have recently installed Linux Mint, and am very happy with it so far. It came with Gnome, and thus Rhythmbox as the default music player. I see that there is a Last.fm plugin, which is cool. But I am primarily a Pandora (pandora.com) user, and have spent years "tuning my stations" within it.

Rhythmbox has no support for Pandora in any way.  Pandora is only available within
the US, and all of the current Rhythmbox developers live elsewhere.

> I am very mucy hoping that there is a way of using Pandora with Rhythmbox, but some googling yeilded fairly useless results, here is what I *do* get:
>
> - With the url set to "http://www.pandora.com"; I get this message:
> "A text/html decoder plugin is required to play this stream, but not installed."
> I have tried searching for such a plugin with no luck.

Of course that isn't going to work.  You can't convert HTML into audio.

> - With the url set to the actual swf path, which is:
> "https://www.pandora.com:443/radio/tuner_8_8_0_1_pandora.swf";,
> I get:
> "Element doesn't implement handling of this stream. Please file a bug."

That isn't going to work either.  That's probably just a flash player for the mp3
stream.

> I am wondering if this is fixable, or if I should try moving over to Banshee or something??

If Pandora has a public API and allows applications to play streams, then someone
could write a plugin to do so.

Banshee doesn't support Pandora either, as far as I can tell.