Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] iPod sync plugin for Rhythmbox

On Mon, 2009-07-20 at 20:54 +0100, Anon wrote:
> When you install Ubuntu, the default music player is Rhythmbox, and I
> believe it to be by far the best music player.
>
> However, your average Windows user is used to being able to sync songs
> to his iPod using iTunes. This means, your library of songs is sent to
> your iPod, so that your iPod matches it.
>
> There is no functionality to do this in Rhythmbox, and the syncing in
> Amarok, Songbird etc does not work properly when you have a large
> number of songs in your library.
>
> Therefore, we clearly need a Rhythmbox plugin that synchronises your
> iPod. Various attempts have been made, such as this one and this one.
> Both fail.
>
> This is a very simple function to describe in English. You simply look
> at the library of songs locally, compare it with your iPod's library,
> and add/remove songs from the iPod as necessary. I can't stress how
> simple this is, yet it is missing! The people who developed Rhythmbox
> are easily capable of including this, yet they haven't. This is the
> sad story of many Ubuntu apps: so sophisticated, but missing a tiny
> piece of functionality that is key!

A lot of people here don't use Ubuntu. For what it's worth, if it's this
easy, why haven't you sent us a patch to implement it?

In all cases, I'd advise you to read the mailing-list archives, as
there's already people working on this (Paul posted a status report
about his work a couple of hours before you sent your misguided e-mail).

Cheers