Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Python Plugin-LED Cube Visualizations

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 03:47:48PM -0700, EmbeddedMicro wrote:

> I under stand this a bit more. I read up on the spectrum element, but I can't
> figure out how to get the messages it sends out. This is what I have now, it
> does not work.

> Is the bus stuff even remotely correct?

Not really, but the main problem was that there was no way for plugins
to attach message handlers to the bus.  I've just committed a small change
to make the bus emit the 'message' signals you were trying to use
(commit 535c2437).

Other things:  it's easier to use the 'filter' interface for this, as you
don't have to create a sink element too; you need to wait for the filter/tee to
actually be added to the pipeline, using the 'filter-inserted' signal; and you
need to walk up the pipeline structure to find the top level bus to process
messages

Here's a simple plugin that adds a spectrum element into the pipeline and
prints the data (note that you need to run rhythmbox with '-D py' for python
print statements to show up):  http://www.gnome.org/~jmatthew/filterdemo.py