Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Python Plugin-LED Cube Visualizations

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 03:06:25PM -0700, EmbeddedMicro wrote:

> I build and sell RGB LED cubes. The newest version has a serial interface
> that I would like to utilise using Rhythmbox. I know C, but I am using
> Python (for the first time) as it is easier.
>
> So far I have the plugin set up so it sends "Hello" over the serial port
> when it is started and that works fine. What I need to do now is make it get
> information on the sound being played, ie intensity, frequency, etc. Does
> anyone know how to do that with Python?

Rhythmbox plugins have the ability to insert elements into the GStreamer
playback pipeline.  You can probably get enough information using the
standard GStreamer 'level' and 'spectrum' elements.  Your plugin would
then handle messages emitted by these elements and use the information
from those to update the device.  I don't think we have any examples of
plugins that do this currently.

Alternatively, I think you could write a GStreamer sink plugin that took
care of the whole process, which would make it easier to use this in
other applications.