Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] GIO and HTTP auth

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:25:17AM -0700, Adam Zimmerman wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 19:15 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> >
> > What's actually streaming the files? We don't call
> > gnome_authentication_manager_init() anymore on startup to set the
> > gnome-vfs callbacks. Is it gnome-vfs code trying to stream the files?
>
> For streaming, it's simply reading the magnatune catalog and entering
> the URIs into rhythmdb. It's when a user double-clicks on an entry in
> the source that rhythmbox used to ask for the username/password combo,
> and now just doesn't play the file. So I would assume that it's actually
> GIO code now streaming the files.

Actually, GStreamer's gio source element doesn't handle http:// URIs.
Where the gnome-vfs source element isn't available (most places, these days),
GStreamer will use souphttpsrc instead.  souphttpsrc itself doesn't do
anything at all about authentication, it just passes URIs through to
libsoup.

So, I think what needs to happen here is that we provide the username and
password up front (http://user:password host/path) - probably using a
get_playback_uri method for the entry type, which should actually work now.
Since souphttpsrc (at least) doesn't provide much of a helpful error code for
HTTP 401/403, it's difficult to prompt for the password as it's required.
Instead we should validate the account information before starting playback.
Maybe while updating the catalogue?