Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Classical Music or Audiobooks on Rhythmbox

On Sun, 2008-07-13 at 16:04 -0400, Kevin Hunter wrote:
> At 2:33p -0400 on Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Sol wrote:
> > As far as I can tell the implicit order of tracks depends on "track
> > number" and "disc number". Are you aware of the "disc number" meta data
> > field? A prerequisite is that all Discs of your multi-cd-box share the
> > same "album" name. This should give you exactly what you asked for (at
> > least it works for me;).
>
> On this note, something that has bugged me (but not enough to file a
> feature request) is that I can only order by one explicit attribute at a
> time.  That is, if I click on Artist, Rhythmbox orders the entire
> viewable collection by the artists' names.
>
> If I then click on Genre, it orders the entire viewable collection by
> genre.  This is *sometimes* what I want, but other times I want to order
> by the Artist, and then within each artist, order by the genre.
>
> Since I note there is development talk about perhaps using SQLite
> (rhythmdb/DESIGN), I'll point out that this is very easy to do in SQL:
>
> SELECT title, artist, genre FROM songs ORDER BY artist, genre;
>
> As far as user interface, I think a single click would update the
> current result set (i.e. Click on Artist to order by artist, then click
> on Genre to sub-order by <Artist, Genre>)
>
> Kevin

Shouldn't a good 'ol playlist cover everything that is not already
covered by the browser view? I mean, there will always be some type of
view that cannot be displayed by the browser, but you can lay out your
songs anyway you want with a playlist