Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] question: i moved my music library folder but them all my points or stars for my songs disappeared.

Do you have a patch?

On 2/6/08, Piotr Gaczkowski <doomhammerng gmail com> wrote:
Dnia 05-02-2008, Wt o godzinie 08:42 -0500, Matt pisze:
> Hi All,
>   I wasn't thinking so much of a plugin for moving the library, or a
> way for RB to manage my files for me.  I do a lot of file management
> of my music with other tools.  Some files get deleted, some get moved,
> and some get renamed.  I was thinking that it would be nice if RB was
> smart enough to realize when a newly found file was just an older
> missing file with a new name.

That's what I suggested!

Using filesystem is deprecated. Everybody is leaving pure
filesystem-based management to some other means - tagging, metadata,
whatever. See for example GMail or PaperBox. Tree structure is dead. My
music files wander often, because I like to keep metadate up-to-date
with MusicBrainz library, so filenames aren't persistent.

However there are things, which are persistent and doesn't change: PUID
for example or the MUSICBRAINZ_TRACK_ID in metadata. Checksums are not
good, because they cover whole files (with metadata) - the only good
solution would be checksumming only the audio part.

Anyway, I put it once again, why Rhythmbox should have its own database
if Tracker already does the management itself? Heck, it even has support
for playlists and so on. Using native DB would only have sense if
Tracker is for some reasons disabled or not working correctly.

Every move of a file would be seen by Tracker which would update the
location and always provide Rhythmbox with up-to-date data. Moreover:
all my private data, like ratings and whatnot could be then shared
between other applications which could use Tracker's Common Music DB.
Whether I use Quod Libet, Rhythmbox, Muine, Amarok or whatever -
everything would look the same.

So why reinvent the wheel all over the time, when we really just need
Common Music DB and that's all?

Piotr Gaczkowski