Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] global shortcuts/file view

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 09:17:34PM -0600, Eric P wrote:
> 2 questions.
>
> 1. Is there a way to have a globally set-able shortcut for Rhythmbox under XFCE?  It'd be nice to play/pause/skip
> tracks/etc. while other apps are in focus.

Rhythmbox uses the media key handling scheme provided by
gnome-settings-daemon for this.  If xfce has a reasonably sensible
alternate scheme, we could possibly support that too.

Otherwise, if xfce provides a way to run arbitrary commands in response
to particular keys, you can use that to invoke 'rhythmbox-client --next'
etc.

> 2. Is there a regular file view to browse the file system and pick tunes for the play list?

I'm not aware of anyone working on anything like this.  Without any
specific use cases for it (why does it make sense to browse your music
this way?), it seems like there's too much overlap with actual file
managers.  Where the interaction between the file manager and rhythmbox
is lacking, we should look at fixing that rather than cutting the file
manager out entirely.