Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Summer of Code Proposal: A predictive playback plugin for Rhythmbox

Hi giopas,

Thanks for the reply.  Perhaps I wasn't quite clear enough - I would only use the id3 tag info as supplementary, so if a user has put a great deal of effort into organizing their tags and wanted to weight similarity based on tags, that effort would not be wasted.  My main focus would be in signal analysis of the songs themselves to extract features such as tempo, dynamics, specific instrument types, etc.  The idea would be to determine the similarity based on the actual music, rather than tags or other external information.

Thanks for pointing me towards the last.fm plugin, it sounds pretty cool.  I think there still might be room for a plugin that bases similarity on signal analysis in addition to last.fm's scrobbling, but it's also possible that it might be too slow and resource intensive to be really practical, especially if you have a big library and are constantly adding new music.

Charlotte

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 8:44 AM, giopas <linux giopas eu> wrote:
Charlotte Curtis ha scritto:
> I am interested in developing a predictive playback plugin for
> Rhythmbox.  Based on a combination of music feature extraction (such
> as beat) and id3 tag information, the plugin would detect which songs
> are most similar to the song or set of songs currently selected.

Hi Charlotte,

I find your project interesting, especially for the "tempo" variable.
However I think that such plugin can't be really rely on id3 tag
informations, most because everybody class its music in a different way.
I give you an example, U2's music genre could be "Pop/Rock", "PopRock",
"Pop" or just "Rock" or whatever...

Therefore, I think that genre variable should bettere be relied on an
external source like last.fm.

Actually, Alexandre Rosenfeld has already issued a plugin based (quite)
on the same principle: Last.fm Dynamic Tracks (have a look on rhythmbox
site). I suggest you to have a look at it in order to see if you can use
some features from it.

enjoy, ;)
giopas

--
"The paradigm of competition is a race: by
rewarding the winner, we encourage everyone