Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Lyrics Plugin

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 20:38 -0500, Sirio Bola�Puchet wrote:
> As Rhythmbox is my favorite music player and lyrics plugin wasn't as
> useful as I needed, I decided to make some improvements to it, so it
> could fit my needs.

Thanks, improving the lyrics plugin had been sitting on my list of
things to work on, but it had never quite gotten to the top. Sorry for
taking a while to respond to this, I'm a bit behind of patch review and
mailing list comments.

> + Search lyrics from lyrc.com.ar and lyrics.astraweb.com in adition to
> leoslyrics.com

More sites are always good, and is helpful because the code for grabbing
the data from leopslyrics.com was copied from another GPL'd program,
which is an issue with the planned relicencing (to add the exception for
GStreamer plugins).

> + Have greater control on good matches for lyrics, issuing a "no
> suitable lyric found" message on cases where there is no good match (as
> far as my code can tell...)
>
> + Add the ability to edit, clear and re-search lyrics (not truly useful,
> as you may judge)

Editing sounds useful, as I've noticed that lyric sites don't always
have the best quality (plenty of typos).

> I don't know very well how to code in python nor pygtk, I just learned
> by example from other code and the pygtk tut, so maybe its not very
> efficient or something, but it works good, at least for me.

It works pretty well for me, except that the lyric lookup appears to be
blocking and it locks the UI while it's looking up the lyrics.

> Hope this can help all the rhythmbox user community.
>
> I'm sending it just as I finished coding it, notices and the like need
> to be added, no intention to remove credit from anyone, just don't know
> what to put int the #' heading on source files. Help appreciated.

Thanks,

--
There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make
it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way