Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] idle rhythmbox

> > > Anyway I installed it to play around with and noticed that rhythmbox
> > > was appearing fairly frequently even though it was idle and not
> > > playing (I forgot I even had it running). Something like 6.2% of the
> > > nearly 2500 wakeups in a second (output below).
> > <snip>
> > >    3.6%          rhythmbox : do_nanosleep (hrtimer_wakeup)
> > <snip>
> > >    2.6%          rhythmbox : schedule_timeout (process_timeout)
> >
> > It would have been more useful getting a proper trace of where this
> > wakeup comes from. Was Rhythmbox idle or not when you did this?
>
> Not sure how to do the proper trace, sorry. Can try if you can send me
> a link to the basics. RB was idle when this was running (ie it was in
> the background, in the library, no DAPs connected and no music
> playing), in fact it doesn't seem to be any worse when it is playing,
> the same threads are creating similar amount of wakeups.

Federico and Ryan have examples in their blogs:
http://primates.ximian.com/~federico/news-2006-09.html#polling
http://blogs.gnome.org/view/ryanl/2006/07/27/0

It should be pretty straight forward to identify the culprits, a bit
harder to actually fix them, depending on how brain-dead the design was
(ie. it was really easy in Totem).

2nd go as got hit by the list

Thanks Bastien,

AFAICT from binding a strace to RB when its doing nothing there's lots
of gettimeofday, poll and ioctl running every second. Sample attached.
Not sure what else needs to be done from here.

Pete