Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] sort by year

On 3/6/07, Jonathan Matthew <jonathan kaolin wh9 net> wrote:
We could probably solve this by changing the album browser from this:

  [album]
  all 3 albums (37)
  aaaa (14)
  bbbb (11)
  cccc (12)

to this:

  [album  v]         [year]    [count]
  all 3 albums                     37
  aaaa                2011         14
  bbbb                1963         11
  cccc                1998         12

which would provide sorting on name, year, and song count:

  [album]         [year  v]   [count]
  all 3 albums                     37
  bbbb                1963         11
  cccc                1998         12
  aaaa                2011         14

Heck, adding the length of the album would also be good too. Suddenly,
the browser is crowded. ;)

The main problem left is that albums don't actually exist in rhythmbox,
so there's no good way to associate years with them.  This is something
that we intend to fix, although no one has done any work on it as far as
I know.

Well, right now all an "album" is is a bunch of tracks with the same
artist and album name, right? So why not just tack on the year there
too? I don't imagine there are too many albums with tracks with
different years, and it wouldn't seem bad to just show the most recent
year in such a case.

Or is there another problem?