Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Tag writing, UTF-8/Latin1

On Sun, 2006-09-17 at 15:47 -0300, Leonardo Fontenelle wrote:
> First: how usable is tag writing? AFAIK it's not 100%, but I'd like to
> know if I should try it.

ID3 tag editing (i.e. for MP3s) has been working fairly well for people
for a while. If you have gstreamer-plugins-good 0.10.3 or earlier, be
aware that using RB's tag-editing will lose any tags that GStreamer
doesn't know about, such as "composer" etc. That is fixed if you have
-good 0.10.4.

Ogg Vorbis tag editing requires a GStreamer plugin that isn't in cvs
yet. Hopefully I can get it in soon.

> Second: what character encoding should I use in my tags? I don't have
> (or plan to) a MP3 player, so I'm not worried about compatibility, but
> OTOH ISO 8859-1 (AKA Latin 1) is OK for my language. I'd like to know
> what char enconding RB (and other players) prefers.

As long as the file is correctly tagged to say what character encoding
it is using, RB can read it - but be aware there are several tag editing
programs that are broken in relation to this. RB itself will write tags
in UTF-8.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
"...And the lord said, `lo, there shall only be case or default labels
inside a switch statement'" -- MPW C error message