Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] iTunes 7 released

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 15:48 +0200, Baptiste Mille-Mathias wrote:
> On 9/13/06, Martin Jeppesen <d2xdt2 gmail com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > iTunes 7 was released today.
> >
> > >From what I can tell the only change in the Ui is the radio button
> > like buttons for selecting browser view.
> >
> > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/59/Itunes-700-mac.png
>
> Is the aim of Rhythmbox just to micmic the iTunes interface and
> features, and update the goals for each major changes ?

I don't think that was ever the goal. I think the goal was to provide a
modern, powerful, and functional music application for the Gnome
Desktop. Now, like most software, of course it took cues from others, in
one way or another. iTunes being one of the most popular Library style
music applications for Windows/OSX, of course is a natural comparison. I
don't think we should just try to copy/match features with iTunes, but
rather implement features users want, with the goal of making a better
and better application. Now, that doesn't mean that we can't or
shouldn't look to iTunes for ideas. Personally, I think the new iTunes
Album flipper thing is cool. I don't know how much I would really use
it, but, cool none the less. Should Rhythmbox developers make cloning it
their number one task? No. Should we be open to some sort of Album view
plugin? or maybe a compiz/rhythmbox gap-bridging plugin for these sorts
of things? Yes.

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery, after all. But of course,
inovation is still what really maters.

personally, I think before something like a eye-candy-ish album view is
done, simply goom/milkdrop/whatever visualzation should be included
(plugin?)

just my 2 cents on a wendsday where i'm feeling like working all
week/weekend was a horrible idea.

cheers

matt

--