Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Transcoding while streaming to iTunes?

On Wed, 2006-10-18 at 11:02 +0200, Karsten Schmiedecke wrote:
> Jonathan Matthew wrote:
> > This, stupidly enough, is because we avoid using chunked transfer
> > encoding as iTunes can't seek properly if we do.  Otherwise, we could
> > probably set up a GStreamer transcoding pipeline fairly easily.
>
> To me, it sounds like whatever transcoding is set up here might be the
> same backend for transcoding before writing files to generic (incl.
> ipod) audio players. (just a thought). However, in some sort of dialog,
> the DAAP-Server setup and Generic Audio Player Plugin dialogs, resp.
> there would have to be a switch to set the default bitrate, plus, the
> transcoded mp3 shouldn't have a bitrate that appears to be higher than
> the input ogg file.

As Jonathan mentioned, iTunes doesn't support chunked transfer encoding,
which makes doing this more difficult. If I understand correctly, we'd
have to transcode the entire file before sending it, which would mean
keeping several megabytes of data in memory - per DAAP client.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans
of java that the thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the