Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Re: equalizer

Hi all,

Is a graphic equaliser not something that should be a stand alone
application for the Gnome desktop, rather than some GUI just in
Rhythmbox itself?

-Marc

On 5/16/06, James Doc Livingston <doclivingston gmail com> wrote:
On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 04:43 -0700, Alex Lancaster wrote:

> j> i really like rhythmbox but since you cause use xine with it, and
> j> are forced to use gstreamer i cant use the application for some
> j> reason gstreamer on my laptop sounds like total crap, and the sound
> j> is all breaking up like there is too much bass.  will an equalizer
> j> be included in a later release so i can use the program? now i am
> j> forced to use amarok.. but its a kde program and doesnt fit in with
> j> the theme i use in gnome.. xine plays my music fine without the
> j> sound problems, so an equalizer is def. needed so i can change the
> j> freq. so that crackling noise is gone
>
> There is an open bug on this: http://bugs.gnome.org/76522
>
> It would probably be best done as a plugin.  I think gstreamer has
> some backend support for equalisation, but not sure about that,
> somehow would need a user interface.

GStreamer 0.8 has an "equaliser" element, but I'm not sure if it has been ported to 0.10. If it has been ported, or someone ports it, it should be fairly easy to add support to Rhythmbox.

One thing that would need to be added is support for plugins inserting
gstreamer elements in the pipeline, which is on my list of things to do.
The only other thing that would need to be done is adding a menu item
for changing the equaliser settings.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
>> After all, everybody's got a water buffalo. -- Ben Coleman
> in their machine room. -- Nix
with the candlestick. -- Christian Bauernfeind