Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] features in current cvs

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 14:52 -0600, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
> Well, there is a POPM frame specifically designed to store play counts
> and ratings in ID3 tags. I don't think GStreamer supports it though.
> It's keyed to an email address, so multiple people can track their stats
> in the same file.
>
> Quod Libet extends this to Vorbis comments (in Ogg Vorbis and FLAC
> files) by using keys like rating:email domain; details on the format are
> at http://www.sacredchao.net/quodlibet/wiki/Specs/VorbisComments.
>
> It would be nice if multiple players could support this standard, and
> let users switch between different programs without losing their play
> counts and ratings.

That seems like a reasonable way to do it, and hadn't noticed it in Quod
Libet (is it the {Import,Export}Meta plugins?).

I imagine it would be off by default, and the user could turn it on by
entering the email address to use. If it wasn't turned on, and we
encountered a file containing those tags, we could ask the user "Do you
want to turn it on, with one of these addresses?" and the list of
addresses encountered.

(AFAIK) GStreamer will give us GST_TAG_COMMENT for any vorbis comments
that it doesn't have specific mappings for, so we could parse those. I'm
not sure what it does with unknown ID3 tags.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
But never forget that the original Dilbert strips were nature studies.
    -- Shmuel Metz