Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] features in current cvs

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 20:58 +0100, Mark Hewitt wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 13:27 -0500, Joel Duggan wrote:
> > I think you'll find a lot of people (myself included) don't want their
> > tags messed with unless they explicitly allow it.
> >
> > Joel D.
>
> On a vaguely related note - I have wondered for a while whether it would
> be possible to effectively distribute the "Play Count" and "Last Played"
> information, by writing it to an unused field in the files' ID3 tags (I
> know it wouldn't yet work for oggs). The Rhythmbox database seems kind
> of flimsy for me - I use this information to organise my tracks (I have
> over 11,000 music files) and keep track of what I've listened to, and
> I've now twice had to delete my database to get past errors at load
> time, losing all that data. If it was written to ID3 tags it'd be a lot
> more secure, and could be reimported even if the whole of Rhythmbox was
> removed and reinstalled - thoughts?

Well, there is a POPM frame specifically designed to store play counts
and ratings in ID3 tags. I don't think GStreamer supports it though.
It's keyed to an email address, so multiple people can track their stats
in the same file.

Quod Libet extends this to Vorbis comments (in Ogg Vorbis and FLAC
files) by using keys like rating:email domain; details on the format are
at http://www.sacredchao.net/quodlibet/wiki/Specs/VorbisComments.

It would be nice if multiple players could support this standard, and
let users switch between different programs without losing their play
counts and ratings.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman sacredchao net>