Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] GUI mockup... let's get this sorted once and for all

Gareth Murphy wrote:
On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 13:40 -0500, William Jon McCann wrote:
[snip]
I don't think this is true. One obvious counter-example is any portable device. Making assumptions about screen size and font size is generally not so good. Here's one of my personal metrics: the UI should be perfectly usable with a 28 pt font. This ensures that people with vision impairment can use it and it also kinda makes sure it can be used on small devices.

This is where I have to stop agreeing. Virtually no laptops these days
come with a screen size of under 1024x768. At 28pt on my 1280x1024 the
whole desktop became unusable, nevermind just Rhythmbox. I feel that
16pt is a good judge for visually impaired users, maybe even one or two
sizes more.

Either way 100% of the people out there are never going to be happy with
a single product, it's just a case of catering to the majority by
default and giving the right amount of customisable options to keep as
many of the other users as possible.

I guess i should have said 28pt font on a 1920x1200 display. With a smaller display the necessary zoomed font size would be smaller too. But really the point is that it isn't catering to a minority it is just good design. It makes you think in a different way. In general, I think programmers and geeks tend to use smaller fonts then the general population [1] and it shows. Anyway, just my personal quirk really but just passing it along.

Oh, and by portable devices I also meant things like the Nokia 770.

Jon

[1] With the possible exception of teenagers who I think tend to use small fonts too.