Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Listening to remote iTunes shares

On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 11:21 -0800, Andisheh Mahdavi wrote:
> Is there any way to get rhythmbox to recognize an iTunes library over a
> ssh tunnel? I am using rhythmbox 0.9.2.
 <snip>
> ssh -f -L 4689:127.0.0.1:3689 -N workcomputer
> avahi-publish-service iTunes _daap._tcp 4689
 <snip>
> This didn't make rhythmbox recognize it either. I asked the avahi folks
> about this and they said that rhythmbox might be filtering out shares on
> the localhost. If so, is there a workaround that allows me to listen to
> my iTunes music sitting at work from a remote location?

Rhythmbox ignores local services, as usually you don't want this (so as
to not show your own share from RB or other daap server).

In this case you want to do that, and I can think of three solutions:
a) make it smarter, so that after finding a local share it does further
checks to see whether it is really it's own share.
b) add an option for disabling the filtering of local shares
c) add a command to add shares by ip/port.

(a) would probably be the best solution; but (c) would be handy too, as
you could just add the ip/port of the remote machine.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
I admit that X is the second worst windowing system in the world, but
all the others I've used are tied for first. -- Paul Tomblin