[Rhythmbox-devel] Listening to remote iTunes shares

Hello,

Is there any way to get rhythmbox to recognize an iTunes library over a
ssh tunnel? I am using rhythmbox 0.9.2.

I have a PowerMac at work serving my CD collection via iTunes. At home I
have an eMac (desktop) and a Linux laptop.

I can use my eMac at home to listen to my iTunes collection that sits at
work. It involves 1) a ssh tunnel mapping office port 3689 to home port
4689, and 2) a program called Network (formerly Rendezvous) Beacon,
which maps home port 4689 to home port 3689 using daap.

When I try doing the same using avahi, I can't get it to work. First of
all, I can confirm that when I take the laptop to work, it can discover
the iTunes service and I can listen to the music hosted on my mac using
rhythmbox on my laptop. So the sharing works perfectly there (thanks!)

Now, when I use my laptop to try the same port-mapping trick (as for my
eMac) at home, it doesn't work. Here is what I do

ssh -f -L 4689:127.0.0.1:3689 -N workcomputer
avahi-publish-service iTunes _daap._tcp 4689

This didn't work---nothing comes up on rhythmbox. Then I tried

ssh -f -L 3689:127.0.0.1:4689 -N 127.0.0.1

This didn't make rhythmbox recognize it either. I asked the avahi folks
about this and they said that rhythmbox might be filtering out shares on
the localhost. If so, is there a workaround that allows me to listen to
my iTunes music sitting at work from a remote location?

Thanks very much,

Pausanias