Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Why I'll Probably Always Use amaroK

On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 19:11 -0500, Andrei Thorp wrote:
> Hello.
>
> First off, this is not intended to offend any of the great people
> working on Rhythmbox, this is simply why I have always used and will
> probably always use amaroK instead of Rhythmbox.

I think we'll be seeing some very interesting things that I hope will
change how things go from here.  See Doc's summary of the changes that
has gone into CVS.

But let's start with this.  Nobody is going to get the perfect player.
Music, and organizing music is different for every person and often very
personal.  We cannot hope to create a player that will fit all needs,
tastes, and so on.  The best we can do is to create the environment to
create a multiplicity of players that will fit what people want.

That said, I think the addition of the plugin support can add the right
amount of power to rhythmbox.  We've also started talking about a common
database backend for all GNOME music players so that we can support that
last paragraph.

It might be that you'll never use Rhythmbox, and that's alright.  But
perhaps we will be able to do something that will allow you and some
friends to create the music player you want in whatever language you
want.

In the mean time, have you checked out the other players like bmpx and
banshee?

sri