Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] dbus dependency kills compilation

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 12:04:15PM -0700, Jan Martin wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have a question about the new dbus requirement - how can I satisfy it
> without breaking my system, given that the dbus version present on
> Mandriva 2006.0 is 0.28.  The problem is that several crucial components
> use dbus and I don't know really how to update dbus to a later version
> without potentially breaking something I really need, like my desktop.
>
> Any ideas?

You could try to implement old-dbus support for dbus 0.2x, or compile a
newer version of dbus under your home directory and use that for
rhythmbox.

Adding support for dbus 0.2x shouldn't be too hard, but I'm not sure
how much the API changed between 0.2x and 0.3x.  The current old-dbus
support for dbus 0.31 - 0.35 lives in shell/main.c.  I don't see any
reason we wouldn't accept a patch to do this, as long as it didn't mess
up anything else too much.

Running a separate dbus session bus for rhythmbox would be the easiest
way to do this, but making sure the bus address environment variable is
set correctly when you need it might be tricky.  If you used dbus-launch
to run a script wrote the bus address to a file in your home directory
then launched rhythmbox, then had a wrapper for rhythmbox-client that
read this file and set DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS, then ran
rhythmbox-client, this might work.  I haven't tried it.

> By the way, the archive for this list appears to be broken - when I go
> there, I can only see June, which makes searching this list a little
> difficult. Maybe it's just me?  Dunno.

There's something weird going on with the archives on mail.gnome.org.
The archives are all still there, but the archive index page doesn't
show them.  gmane should still have everything, and google should have
it all indexed.