Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] totem and goom information...

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 07:50:15AM -0700, sjoeboo wrote:

> Good "morning" everyone,
>
> So, my (and what should be everyones) favorite music player for gnome,
> rhythmbox, has been on a steady march of advancement for the past few
> months, with a whole slew of new features comming about. One thing I
> though of recently is visualizations, and how ncie it would be to have
> at least one, possibly as a plugin.  I know totem uses GOOM to do
> this, and was wondering what I might have to do in terms of gstreamer
> etc to have rhythmbox use it as well. I was looking around on the
> Totem site for a mailing list etc, but couldn't find anything. Does
> anyone know where I might find more info for something like this?

Totem, when using the gstreamer backend, creates a gstreamer element
(goom, one of the libvisual elements, etc.) and sets it as the
vis-plugin property on the playbin instance, and sets up a video sink
outputting to its display window.

I'm working on a plugin that does this.  It basically works, but
toggling visualization while playing doesn't work very well, and
causes some weird UI glitches.  I think I'm just getting some GDK bits
wrong.  When I get it working properly, I'll make patches available (or
just check it in..).