Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] easytag can't read RB edited tags

JR> Frequently on this mailer when asked about tag editing people have
JR> recommended easytag which I have used succssfully for a long time.
JR> Great app.  However, now that RB has tag editing I like to use
JR> that from time to time.

I wish people would *not* recommend easytag for exactly that reason.

JR> However, I just noticed that if a tag is edited in RB, or any
JR> gstreamer tag editing using app, the tag is not readable by either
JR> easytag or any id3lib 3.8.3 utility.  I believe that easytag uses
JR> id3lib 3.8.3.

JR> I googled around and found something about how gstreamer writes
JR> id3 V2.4 tags and that some apps can't read them.  Is that the
JR> issue here?  Is there any way to get them to play together?

That's exactly the problem.  Easytag relies on id3lib which is dead
upstream and only reads up to id3v2.3.  Solutions are to:

1) Upgrade id3lib to read id3v2.4 tags (unlikely)

2) Upgrade easytag to use taglib (another maintained backend that
   reads/writes id3v2.4).  It looks there are plans in the works to do
   that, but don't know the timeline, but the last discussion of it
   was a while ago [1]

3) Use a id3v2.4 compliant tag editor like exfalso from quodlibet (it
   also uses taglib) [2]

I recommend (3), it's actually a much better tagger all round than
easytag.

Alex

[1] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=36327233
[2] http://www.sacredchao.net/quodlibet