Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Can't play MP3s follow-up

Baptiste Mille-Mathias wrote:
On 8/18/06, Peter Anderson <peter anderson internode on net> wrote:

I have re-installed the latest version of Rhythmbox and the
gstreamer0.10 files but still have no joy with playing MP3s. The UI is
much more stable (there's progress) but no sound.

Xmms and rhythmbox don't use the same libraries to read audio files.
As said before, did you read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats
and install gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly ?

Thanks for the reply.

I have just received a tip from the Banshee list to try 'gstreamer-properties' - I did this and worked through some of the output and input options. The initial output setting was ALSA so I tried the other options and Open Sound System (OSS) works just fine. Actually Banshee and Rhythmbox both work although Rhythmbox is locking-up and requires a 'forced quit' to exit it. I have version 0.9.4.1 which is later than the Dapper repositories so it might be an idea to go back a version.

Regards,
Peter
--

Peter Anderson

E: peter anderson internode on net
P: +61 (0)2 4472 2274
M: +61 (0)418 249 648

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things — Niccolo Machiavelli, /The Prince/, ch. 6