[Rhythmbox-devel] Re: tray icon rework patch

On 9/1/05, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 03:40 +1000, James Livingston wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 12:04 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > > Here's an updated patch which only does the minimization if you have a
> > > notification area, and also has what I think are better rules for
> > > handling clicks on the icon.  Now it always presents the window if it
> > > doesn't have focus, and only does the minimization if the window
> doesn't
> > > have focus.
> > >
> > > Can people play around with this and see how it feels?
> >
> > I'm one of those people who believe that the close button should quit an
> > application - because if I wanted to just hide the application, I would
> > have used the minimise button.
>
> Right...I agree it is kind of weird to have the minimization icon there
> too.  I tried to get rid of it using gdk_window_set_decorations, but I
> was having trouble making it conditional on whether or not there is a
> tray icon.  The function I stole from the new gtkstatusicon.c (that we
> use to make the delete_event handling conditional) only seems to work
> after some arbitrary point that I can't figure out.  I'm going to nag
> Matthias tomorrow I think about this :)
>
> Now as for the X button...the idea is Rhythmbox isn't an application
> anymore.  It's an applet with a big transient dialog that appears when
> you click on it.  I'm not sure in any case we can dogmatically say "the
> X button must quit" as it's not true in many cases; e.g. with multiple
> browser windows, closing one doesn't exit them even though technically
> they're all one process.
>
> I think if we get rid of the minimization button it should feel more
> intuitive.
>
> Maybe get rid of maximize too (this would *definitely* make it look and
> feel a lot more like a GtkDialog), and have a special "Full screen"
> option for parties and stuff that would automatically turn on
> visualization etc.
>
> > But apart from that this does make things seem nicer.
>
> Ok, committed...hopefully we can work out some details and further
> refinements like hiding the minimize button.   It would be nice to have
> an un-minimization animation too.

As far as the close button behaviour goes, I feel it best, in the face
of these two possibilities, to leave the decision to the user.  Which
should be the default is a pretty big debate, but having rhythmbox
*ALWAYS* minimize instead of close would probably cause me to stop
using it, or maybe fork it and have a version that quits when I click
quit (that just seems like common sense to me). Just my .02