Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] [patch] tray icon rework patch

On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 03:40 +1000, James Livingston wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 12:04 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > Here's an updated patch which only does the minimization if you have a
> > notification area, and also has what I think are better rules for
> > handling clicks on the icon.  Now it always presents the window if it
> > doesn't have focus, and only does the minimization if the window doesn't
> > have focus.
> >
> > Can people play around with this and see how it feels?
>
> I'm one of those people who believe that the close button should quit an
> application - because if I wanted to just hide the application, I would
> have used the minimise button.

Right...I agree it is kind of weird to have the minimization icon there
too.  I tried to get rid of it using gdk_window_set_decorations, but I
was having trouble making it conditional on whether or not there is a
tray icon.  The function I stole from the new gtkstatusicon.c (that we
use to make the delete_event handling conditional) only seems to work
after some arbitrary point that I can't figure out.  I'm going to nag
Matthias tomorrow I think about this :)

Now as for the X button...the idea is Rhythmbox isn't an application
anymore.  It's an applet with a big transient dialog that appears when
you click on it.  I'm not sure in any case we can dogmatically say "the
X button must quit" as it's not true in many cases; e.g. with multiple
browser windows, closing one doesn't exit them even though technically
they're all one process.

I think if we get rid of the minimization button it should feel more
intuitive.

Maybe get rid of maximize too (this would *definitely* make it look and
feel a lot more like a GtkDialog), and have a special "Full screen"
option for parties and stuff that would automatically turn on
visualization etc.

> But apart from that this does make things seem nicer.

Ok, committed...hopefully we can work out some details and further
refinements like hiding the minimize button.   It would be nice to have
an un-minimization animation too.