[Rhythmbox-devel] Re: portable audio players and rhythmbox

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 12:44 +0200, Mattias Eriksson wrote:
> Hi, just read the webarchive of the rhytmbox list and saw that you are
> working on supporting portable audio players. I hope you plan some
> simple mechanism to add/remove songs from them... that way all music
> tasks could be handled by rhythmbox. I guess it shouldn't be that hard
> for storage devices...
>
> //Snaggen, who haven't had time to test the patch

Since posting the patch, I've realised several reasons why it won't
actually work as-is - which stems from me not having hardware to test
with. One of my house-mates bought one the other day, so hopefully I'll
borrow it sometime, and make it work.

The biggest problem I see with adding write/sync support for "generic"
players, is that it's hard to tell whether it is actually a simple
mass-storage device, or it's a player-with-a-db that we don't know
about.

As an example, generic play support should be able to do playback from
an iPod - but writing won't work because the ipod-db needs updating, and
files have to go in the right location.

Probably the best way to do this is add generic write/sync support, and
hope people file bugs telling us that it doesn't work for a particular
player. If we have details of what doesn't work, we could then try to
make it work.

Also talking to the Banshee devs if probably a good idea, because most
of their backend libraries are written in C, and it would be better not
to duplicate the effort.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
If USENET is anarchy, IRC is a paranoid schizophrenic after 6 days on
speed. -- Chris "Saundo" Saunderson in asr.