Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] cover art support?

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 13:45 -0800, Alan wrote:
> Just wondering what the status of cover art was?  I seem to remember
> this being in CVS just before the .9.0 days, but it doesn't seem to be
> around.  Was the code not working properly, or rather, is this feature
> going to re-appear at some point?  IIRC muine and several other players
> have code for this, could this be used (though I doubt the inclusion is
> a purely technical issue).

As Ryan mentioned, there is a patch in bugzilla which is the old cover
art support (which was in the "merge" branch) updated for then-current
cvs.

While the patch works nicely for what it does, there are some things it
doesn't do, that would require reworking it to support:
 * art embedded into files (e.g. in ID3 tags)
 * art stored on (photo) iPods
 * art for podcasts

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I preferred to do the necessary
changes before putting it into cvs, on the assumption that we would do
it in the not-too-distant future. The problem there, is that no-one has
done it yet.

I guess the two options are to a) commit it as-is now, and realise that
we may have to make substantial changes to add support for the other
things, or b) leave it until the changes are done, which may be a while.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
Windows is too dangerous to be left to Windows admins.
    -- James Riden in asr