Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] cover art support?

> On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 13:45 -0800, Alan wrote:
>> Just wondering what the status of cover art was?  I seem to remember
>> this being in CVS just before the .9.0 days, but it doesn't seem to be
>> around.  Was the code not working properly, or rather, is this feature
>> going to re-appear at some point?  IIRC muine and several other players
>> have code for this, could this be used (though I doubt the inclusion is
>> a purely technical issue).
>
> As Ryan mentioned, there is a patch in bugzilla which is the old cover
> art support (which was in the "merge" branch) updated for then-current
> cvs.
>
> While the patch works nicely for what it does, there are some things it
> doesn't do, that would require reworking it to support:
>  * art embedded into files (e.g. in ID3 tags)
>  * art stored on (photo) iPods
>  * art for podcasts
>

> I'm not sure about everyone else, but I preferred to do the necessary
> changes before putting it into cvs, on the assumption that we would do
> it in the not-too-distant future. The problem there, is that no-one has
> done it yet.
>
> I guess the two options are to a) commit it as-is now, and realise that
> we may have to make substantial changes to add support for the other
> things, or b) leave it until the changes are done, which may be a while.

I'd go for a) commit it as-is now

For the following reasons

1. If it stays to long in bugzilla without anybody working on it, the
patch soon won't apply cleanly anymore.
2. If it's in CVS more people will test it and that will stimulate people
to write patches.
3. I guess the three extra use cases you mention (though nice) will not be
strictly necessary for quite some people

Just my 2 cents

Jaap