Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] rhythmbox connecting to iTunes shared music on another machine

Il giorno lun, 07/11/2005 alle 21.04 +0000, Barney ha scritto:

> On 11/6/05, Charles Schmidt <cschmidt2 emich edu> wrote:
>         On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 16:00 +0000, Barney wrote:
>         > Can rhythmbox(0.9.1) connect to shared music on another
>         machine running
>         > iTunes. If so, how would I go about getting this up and
>         running?
>
>         Yes.  Compile it with  --enable-daap  and make sure you have
>         either howl
>         or avahi installed & running.
>
> I am using the rhythmbox package from Debian unstable. It installed
> avahi for me. I have two machines connected via a router. One machine
> is wireless running Debian/Linux and the other is XP. Most of my music
> is on the XP machine. If I run rhythmbox and share music then the
> XP/iTunes machine can see and play the music of the Linux box, but I
> can't get the Linux machine to see the XP machine's music. I have used
> netcat to send data from one machine to the other over UDP port 5353
> which I think is needed by avahi and that works fine (after stopping
> avahi-daemon/iTunes). If I run avahi-discover on the linux box it
> doesn't list the XP box though so I'm guessing the problem is at the
> avahi level rather than the rhythmbox level. Any tips on howto debug
> futher?

Not sure, but maybe every Zeroconf/Bonjour implementation could be
potentially incompatible.

There was a thread in September on desktop-devel-list about switch from
howl to avahi in GNOME Desktop and there should be more info on this
page: http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/avahi-compat.html

I repeat: I'm not sure this could be the reason of your issue, 'cause I
don't know if implementation means simply API/ABI or sending data over
the network.