Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] rhythmbox connecting to iTunes shared music on another machine

On 11/6/05, Charles Schmidt <cschmidt2 emich edu> wrote:
On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 16:00 +0000, Barney wrote:
> Can rhythmbox(0.9.1) connect to shared music on another machine running
> iTunes. If so, how would I go about getting this up and running?

Yes.  Compile it with  --enable-daap  and make sure you have either howl
or avahi installed & running.

I am using the rhythmbox package from Debian unstable. It installed avahi for me. I have two machines connected via a router. One machine is wireless running Debian/Linux and the other is XP. Most of my music is on the XP machine. If I run rhythmbox and share music then the XP/iTunes machine can see and play the music of the Linux box, but I can't get the Linux machine to see the XP machine's music. I have used netcat to send data from one machine to the other over UDP port 5353 which I think is needed by avahi and that works fine (after stopping avahi-daemon/iTunes). If I run avahi-discover on the linux box it doesn't list the XP box though so I'm guessing the problem is at the avahi level rather than the rhythmbox level. Any tips on howto debug futher?

Thanks
Barney