Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Search vs. Browse

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 11:37 -0500, William Jon McCann wrote:
> I've been wondering whether it makes sense to simultaneously perform
> searching and browsing.  Or, if it does make sense then whether the
> added complexity for the user is worth it.
>
> What if the search box and browser were mutually exclusive?

I used to use both at once a fair bit, but now that the search box can
match multiple properties at once I might not use it as much.

> I have found that most people are really confused when using both
> methods.  This includes me.  One example of this confusion is when
> people start using the browser and they don't realize they still have
> terms in the search box.  If you watch enough people use rhythmbox you
> will know that everyone makes this mistake.  This is somewhat related to
> the number of bugs we get asking for a clear button.  The search box
> should be cleared the moment you start browsing.

It would be preferable to find a way of making it more obvious that the
results are being filtered by the search box, so we don't have to take
out the ability to use both at once. Whether there is a good way to make
it more obvious, I'm not sure.

Having the browsers reset when you start typing into the search box may
also be confusing to users, because typing in an entry usually doesn't
cause other widgets to change state.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
And Jesus said unto them, "And whom do you say that I am?" They replied,
"You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground of our being,