[Rhythmbox-devel] Re: Removing "disappeared" songs

>> I think the only *safe* moment when we can remove an entry from the database
>> is when the two conditions are met:
>> 1 - `lstat' says the file doesn't exist.
>> 2 - the directory in which the file should reside does exist.
>>

> So it's ok to screw people mounting /home/music via nfs and storing
> their music there in a hierarchy like Artist/Album ?

I don't understand in what way it would screw them (and me along the way
since I use such a setup)?

>> All in all, I'd rather *never* auto-remove entries from the database.
>> Instead we should introduce a flag "missing" and grey-out the songs which
>> are "missing".  And add a command to flush-out "missing" entries.

> What 0.9 is supposed to do it:
> * store the mount point where each song is located
> * before removing a file, check if the mount point it was in is still
> available
> * if it's there and the song isn't, remove the song
> * if it's not there, remove the song if it hasn't been available in x
> days, with x being configurable in gconf

> If it doesn't work, then a bug was added at some point and it should be
> fixed.

At the very least, there's a bug there since it does remove my songs.
But I think the even if that's fixed auto-removing songs should not
be done.  They should be greyed out and a separate manual step could then be
used to actually remove the songs.

        Stefan