Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Removing "disappeared" songs

It seems that there will always be special cases, such as the one
outlined by Christophe, that defy automation.

I would like to offer the opinion that perhaps automatic refreshing of
the database ought to be abolished.  Now that the database contains
album-art associations which may have required significant manual
labor, automatically purging these can be a real disaster.  It was
different, before album-art, when one simply re-imported a folder
and everything would be restored.

As a minimum, removal of a song from the database should first pop up a
dialog box to obtain approval:  "Database refresh has discovered that
file ### is not present.  Remove song from database? <Yes> <Yes to all>
<No> <No to all>"

Then there is the question whether the refresh ought to be automatic or
whether it should be manually triggered.  If the aforementioned dialog
box were added, I guess I could go either way on this.

Two related thoughts:

1) Why does the refresh only *delete* songs?  If I used "Import folder"
to read a directory tree into Rhythmbox and then later add a new
subdirectory to this folder, why shouldn't Rhythmbox import the new
folder during the next refresh?

2) It would be nice to be able to delete a song file or an artist or an
album directory from within Rhythmbox.  Note that I am talking about
actually removing the file/directory from the disk, not just from
Rhythmbox's database.  Needless to say, this should pop a dialog box
with well crafted alarms.  This would likely remove some of the need
for today's automatic refresh and would address Christophe's use case.
It also addresses the pointlessness of the current 'Delete' feature,
which deletes the song from the database, but promptly restores it
during the next automatic refresh.

Thanks

   Gisli