Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Auto Playlists: sorting

Hi,

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 12:34 +1000, James Livingston wrote:
> G'day everyone,
>
> As anyone who has updated to patch-52 or higher on the merge branch may
> have noticed, I've added the option to sort automatic playlists.
> Currently you can only change it via the playlist editor, and not by
> clicking on column headers, but hopefully I'll fix that soon.

First of all: Great work!

At the moment it seems that the automatic playlist first filters, then
limits and sorts at last. I tried to filter out my top 200 songs and
ended up with different playlists depending on the search criteria:

1) Filter all songs with rating > 4 stars, sort by rating, limit to 200.
2) Filter all songs with rating > 2 stars, sort by rating, limit to 200.

The resulting playlists should be identical but they aren't. In 2) my
highest rated song is not shown. Changing the order to
filter->sort->limit would fix that.

> One thing I was trying to come to a decision about was sorting normal
> playlists. Being able to sort them would be handy - but it's not
> something you would want to be too easy, lest you accidentally sort you
> carefully ordered playlist. One option I was thinking of was adding a
> "sort playlist" option to the context menu - which would ask what you
> want to sort by.

Keeping the common "sort-by-click-on-column-header" would be best for
consistency. How about this: The user arranges the songs to her
preference. Then, as usual, when clicking on a column header the list is
sorted in ascending order, on the second click in descending order. And
on the third click, the previous custom order is restored.

--
so long,
oliver

Public GPG Key: http://www.core-dump.info/olemke-public.asc
Fingerprint: 2389 0B2C 1AA8 4E3E D5AD 3B72 00DB ABDC 73ED C558