Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] My Rhythmbox Hacking ToDo

On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 08:41:20PM +1100, James Livingston wrote:

> Your play-bin branch is working great for me at the moment; the short
> pause between songs is gone, and no crashes so far (I haven't tried
> anything more complex than playing files off my hard-drive though).

I've been using it for the last couple of hours, and it's working well
for me playing off SMB shares (using gnome vfs smb, not smbfs).  It
seems to have improved buffering - playback used to stutter when the
latency on my flaky wireless network jumped above about 30ms, but that
seems to be fixed now.

If it manages to recover when the network goes away for a couple of
minutes and its TCP connections break, I'll be really impressed.

I'm still hearing a pause between songs, but it's definitely shorter.
I'd be really happy if it got to the point where you could chop up an
ogg vorbis file using vcut, stick the pieces in a playlist, and not notice
the difference.  ogg123 can do it, and it doesn't even try.  It'd take a
fair bit of work in rhythmbox, though.

-jonathan.