Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] rythmdb question?

Brian Fahrlander wrote:
   Yeah, and in most other cases I'd agree, but there's just so _darned_
much already situated around MySQL; so many programs, APIs and things.
Look at PHP and python bindings and such.  I don't dislike SQLite, it's
clever, and efficient but with so many things on (at least) Fedora
already using it, it seems a shame to go re-invent the wheel.  It would
bring up another level of incompatibility that just doesn't have to be.

I was under the impression that PHP embedded a copy of SQLite in it's interpreter that you could use natively. I'm positive Python has SQLite bindings. I know Perl does. I don't see how MySQL has any more support other than apps locked into it. How is SQLite reinventing the wheel?

In any case, a move to a SQL database should be a move to any SQL database; RB (or any app), shouldn't tie you down to the developer's choice of DB engines.

Tom