Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox archive

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 12:31:15AM +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> Hello Jonathan,
>
> On Sat, 2005-06-04 at 10:30 +1000, Jonathan Matthew wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 12:45:47AM +0200, Lars Strojny wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Am Freitag, den 03.06.2005, 10:19 +0100 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > I tried out compiling rhythmbox-0.9 from CVS but it failes with the
> > > following. Any hints?
> >
> > The attached patch is enough to get it to build for me.
> > It'd be nice if this could be committed.  It fixes:
> >  - new-style GLib function inlining in rb-refstring
>
> That's fixed in CVS, in a more self-contained way.

Great.  I was confused for a while because the changes haven't made it
to anoncvs yet, but I eventually figured it out..

> >  - pkg-config 0.16 compatibility (which is the problem you were having)
>
> What's the exact problem with this version of pkg-config? From what I
> understood, programs should be using PKG in their variable or macros
> names, otherwise pkg-config will yell, but we're not doing that.

With the current configure.ac in CVS, the first use of PKG_CHECK_MODULES
is inside the 'if test x"$enable_ipod" = xyes' block.  pkg.m4 from
pkg-config 0.16 determines the location of the pkg-config binary the
first time you use PKG_CHECK_MODULES or PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG.  Not the
first time it's executed, the first place it appears in configure.ac.
So if that doesn't get executed because it's inside a conditional
statement, PKG_CONFIG doesn't get set, so you get this:

checking for RHYTHMBOX_CFLAGS...
checking for RHYTHMBOX_LIBS...
configure: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too old.  Make
sure it is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the full
path to pkg-config.

I raised this with the pkg-config maintainer, who agreed it was
annoying but couldn't fix it.

> >  - a very small bit of gcc 4 compatibility
>
> fwrite_unlocked works fine here with gcc4, which version are you using?

It works with the version I have now.  I think I had a prerelease
version when I made that change.  gcc4 isn't my default compiler, so I
hadn't noticed that it had been fixed.

> > (how do you get cvs diff to include new files if you don't have CVS
> > write access? argh.)
>
> Something like that usually does the trick:
> diff -u /dev/null myfile-to-be-added >> my-patch

Thanks.  Eventually, I might be able to overcome four and a half years
(and counting) of CMVC induced brain damage and someday produce useful
patches.

-jonathan