Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] column resizing

On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 00:57 -0500, John Russell wrote:
> I brought this up a few months ago and noticed that it is still in the
> most recent release of RB (0.8.8).  If you try to resize the columns
> in the main song list... well the columns lose the minds.  They jump
> all over the place.  If I drag right, sometimes they go left.
> Craziness.  The reasoning for this at the time was that the standard
> GTK widget for the main list was subclassed to not allow horizontal
> scroll bars because they don't look good.  So RB maintains its own
> almost copy of that widget to stop this.

[Polite and considerate plea, Snipped]

    I'm afraid I have to agree; sure, I don't write GTK, but I've
written in other languages, and this kinda thing tends to cause more
problems that it solves.  Sure, there may have been a boatload of
politics or a grudge match that brought this code to be, but regarless
of who feels slighted, trying to duplicate existing code is just asking
for trouble.  It also does something that we might not be giving
attention to, too: cross platform ability.

    I was a big Galeon fan. There might be just ONE took from Firefox
that I actually use, the rest is fluff, and I hate having only one tab-
closure button.  But I put this aside due to the higher goal: the more
people see and feel OpenSource, even if it's under Windows, the more
they're gonna love the trip to Linuxville.  One day RB might be poised
to jump over the platform wall, and having a (well-intended) kludge like
this will only make porting harder.

    Gaim is another project like that; I don't like the UI as much as I
did Licq, but I'm getting used to it.  And the portability means
something to me.

    And maybe we can get an option on that call to allow the main,
supported, so-we-don't-have-to-screw-with-it code to disallow the
horizontal bars, aye?  This is OpenSource after all...

Brian FahrlÃnder                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ: 5119262                                          AIM: WheelDweller