Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] column resizing

On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 00:57 -0500, John Russell wrote:
> I brought this up a few months ago and noticed that it is still in the
> most recent release of RB (0.8.8).  If you try to resize the columns
> in the main song list... well the columns lose the minds.  They jump
> all over the place.  If I drag right, sometimes they go left.
> Craziness.  The reasoning for this at the time was that the standard
> GTK widget for the main list was subclassed to not allow horizontal
> scroll bars because they don't look good.  So RB maintains its own
> almost copy of that widget to stop this.

I noticed the other day that Evolution also has to deal with this
situation, and does so a bit differently.  For example, one can display
contacts as a list, with several columns displayed in an area of similar
width to the Rhythmbox library.

When resizing a column in Evolution, every column to the right is also
resized to keep the all columns visible, but columns to the left are
untouched.   A horizontal scrollbar never appears.  This behavior seems
to pass the "feels right" test.  (Not sure if they reverse the behavior
for right-to-left languages...)

--
Dan8827
Increasing the entropy of the universe since 1972