Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Inconsistent and unnecessary rounding of ratings

Dnia 09-01-2005, nie o godzinie 01:25 +0100, Christophe Fergeau napisał:
> > If this sounds like a good idea, I'll gladly make a patch to implement
> > this.  Any comments?
>
> This would break other users of the bonobo interface, rhythmlet comes to
> mind. If we decide it's better to fix the issue even if it breaks stuff
> for other people, there's also the possibility that people will use an
> app expecting an integer against a rhythmbox returning a float and ugly
> things like that.
> For 0.9, we probably expose a float in the bonobo interface. In 0.8, we
> should at least fix the rouding, though I'm not sure what people using
> the interface will think... Another option would be to add a new field
> containing the rating in float, but it's a bit ugly.

That's the joy of commiting to stable public interfaces. I'd say 1) fix
rounding in 0.8, it changes what Bonobo users see, but can be regarded
strictly as bugfix, and I can't imagine anyone relying on broken
behaviour, 2) add _float() version to make it possible to use accurate
values, unless we decide it's really not needed in 0.8 and 3) fix that
properly in 0.9, changing the signature to give float. Maybe 2) isn't
pretty, but is the only backwards compatible way, we have to live with
that. And it won't be only ugly thing related to Bonobo, btw ;)

Cheers,
Maciej

--
Maciej Katafiasz <ml mathrick org>