Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Album covers

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:29:47 +0100, Marc Pavot <m pavot laposte net> wrote:
> Earlier, Thomas Lunde <tlunde gmail com> wrote:
> >It would be wonderful it the code could also look in the MP3 files for
> >art (even if it's not possible to save the art there with Rb due to
> >amazon's licensing policy?).  All of my files are already tagged with
> >art from iTunes, so it seems a waste of bandwidth and disk space to
> >download the art again.
> >

> Yes, I could try to make it but which software can I use to add an art
> in a MP3 file with Linux?

Sorry for the delay in response.

I found a number of packages which claimed to add cover art to ID3
tags, but only a small number worked at all and only one (that I've
found so far) seems to do this in a way which is mutually compatible
with iTunes.  The ID3 spec seems pretty hairy.  iTunes appears to
prefer to write version 2.2 tags, but can understand others as well.
EasyTag (at least in my build) seems to prefer to write version 2.3
tags, but this does not appear to be a problem.

http://easytag.sourceforge.net/

I used the 1.99.3 version (self compiled, on ubuntu warty) and was
able to tag files with info and pictures that iTunes could read.  It
also could understand all of my tags in my files that I had previously
tagged (both words and pictures) with iTunes.

If it would be helpful, I would be happy to provide sample files
tagged with either or both iTunes and/or EasyTag.  For source
material, I'd grab a CC-licensed song and use one of my own pictures,
so there will not be any copyright problems.  Please let me know if
that would help.

Thanks very much for considering this feature.
thomas